Friday, February 1, 2013

super easy peasy valentine's day card

Hello, February!!!

Wow -- how in the heck is it already February 1st? Seriously. When did that happen? Oy.

I apologize for the lack of posts! I've been battling some lovely sinus issues yet again -- so much fun. Thanks so much, New England weather. I love it when it's like 10 degrees one day and 50 degrees the next. My sinuses love it too.

Anyhow. I figured the perfect way to kick off February would be a super simple Valentine's Day card. I love making cards. I hoard paper. Seriously, you should see the amount of paper I have. It's slightly terrifying. Well, especially in the state that its in now. I need like an entire wall of shelves and storage dedicated to my paper. Currently, I have boxes scattered all over the places with scraps and bits of paper along with one of those scrapbook paper accordion things that is overflowing with paper. And there are piles of paper just sitting on the floor. And on shelves. And basically any available surface.

I especially love making pop-up cards. They're so much fun and so easy to make! And they're super cute.


See? Let's get to it!

Here's what you'll need.


1. Scissors
2. Pencil
3. 3 pieces of paper (one for the inside, one for the outside, and one for the heart shape)
4. Double-sided tape
5. Ruler
6. Paper cutter
7. Gel pens/other pens for decorating/writing in the card
8. Bonefolder (I forgot to include it in the picture! D'oh!)

>> step one
Measure and cut your pieces of paper for the card to size. I like to use a cardstock for the interior paper, since it's sort of the "structure" of the card, and then a thinner paper for the exterior. For this card, I wanted a 5 by 3.5 size, so the pieces of paper measure 5 inches by 7 inches. Once you have the papers cut to size, fold them in half with a bone folder.


>> step two
Cut out the heart. [yeesh, that sounds a bit morbid!] I just freehanded the heart, but you can totally use a template if you'd like. [as you can see, I messed up on the first heart! too small!] Then, decorate it! I added some white dots around the edge of the heart with a white gel pen. You could also cut out a smaller heart with a different color paper to do a cute, layered heart.


>> step three
Take the interior paper and estimate where you'd like the heart to pop up. I took the heart and placed it on the outside of the paper, roughly where I wanted it to be. I then marked the spot with a pencil and cut two lines to that point. You can get super precise with a ruler if you want. But I'm lazy. I like to guesstimate. 

Open up the card and pop out the "stand" for the heart.


>> step four
Take some double-sided tape and attach it to the "stand." Then, attach the heart! Close up the card and attach some more double-sided tape along the edges. Double-sided tape is my new hero. So much easier than glue!


>> step five
Line up the taped side of the interior paper with the exterior paper and press down. Do the same thing with the other side of the card. Apply some double-sided tape to the edges and attach to the exterior paper.


>> step six
Voila! You're done! How cute is that?

There are so many possibilities with this pop-up card. You could have a double heart, or cut out a banner and write "Happy Valentine's Day." And this card can totally be applied to any occasion! I've made birthday cards with balloons and Christmas cards with trees and penguins -- the possibilities are endless! And it's so simple and always looks so cute when it's all done. The perfect card!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...